Tuesday 23 February 2016

ON SHORTSIGHTEDNESS.

I had my first pair of glasses when I was 5, a massive -3.50Dioptres, eventually landing up with great heavy lenses at -11D. Then contact lenses for years, and eventually bilateral cataract surgery leading to a blissful unbespectacled period of time, followed by the partial loss of sight in one eye and a return to glasses. But I love my small clear world, which I have had all my life. My paintings are clear, because as I use photographs and sketches for reference, and paint on a canvas, everything within that space of under a metre is clear. Beyond that all is a haze. So I want to celebrate that clarity whilst I can. I sometimes use the permanent double image that I have to make paintings, as I feel it makes for interest ‘copy’. I think that this is the reason why I cannot think in abstract terms, my attempts at abstract paintings have been meaningless to me: my brain needs to find a reality – the fusiform gyrus is strong. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20617881)

Poshina Pond 2016 oil on calico on board 110x80cms
Orchha Dawn, 
Madhya Pradesh 2016 oil on calico on board 110x80cms

No comments:

Post a Comment